Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Doing what God wants us to do.

Ever notice how when you do something you are not supposed to do, that inner spirit that is part of you (some call a conscience) tells you that you are wrong?    For example, have you ever done something due to laziness, or your pride that you know wasn't right but did it anyway, only to find out you were back where you started and should have just faced up and gotten on with it?

Several people in the Bible did this same thing, and paid the price for it more dearly than anyone of us I can guarantee.  Jonah, was told to go to Nineveh, he refused but was swallowed by a fish.  Aaron's sons in Leviticus 10 were devoured by fire from the Lord because in an act of haste offered profane fire before the Lord and did not follow God's instructions he gave specifically on the ceremony.   Did these people really do something so wrong they deserved their punishment?  The answer, is yes.  Jonah, tried by being swallowed by the fish came to the realization of what he must do, and was put back on the right path.  Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu suffered the ultimate consequence because they during a most Holy ceremony disobeyed God and his instructions, and as such they were made examples.  We see this same consequence in 2 Samuel 6:6-7 when Uzzah put his hand on the Ark of the Covenant to prevent it from falling (no one but those chosen could carry/touch the Ark), the Lord strikes him dead. 

In the book of James 1:2-3 he says "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."  I know personally that I should wait and be patient, Lord knows that I have had to learn this lesson.  But personally, this is the largest thing I struggle with in my life.  The patience to see God's will to the end.  When I'm down and suffering and have nothing left, I still can't be patient enough not to question where am I going or when will it end.  In fact recently I went through another hard time in my life, in involved someone in a Christian organization who did something that I would not necessarily feel as a Christian should act.  I felt I needed time to heal from this and instead of letting God deal with it I let it affect part of my obligation to the organization because I had a hard time coming to grips as to how they could allow someone like that who would act like that to be a member and expect me to associate with them.



After some time now I have learned what I did wrong and need to get my butt in gear and back on track.  But it makes you think sometimes, are you doing something that God doesn't want you to do?  It's not hard to do!

Isaiah 55:7 says, "Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the Lord, And He will have mercy on him; And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon." 

Take time, give your troubles up and leave them with God. Ask him to show you the way out, be patient and wait for the time.  Be reverent and be attentive.   I conclude with Psalm 142, one of my favorites I read everyday.  It goes along with this article (v3), and gives me comfort when I am lost and overwhelmed.

Psalm 142
I CRY out to the LORD, with my voice; With my voice to the LORD I make my supplication. (2) I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble. (3) When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, Then you knew my path.  In the way in which I walk They have secretly set a snare for me. (4) Look on my right hand and see, For there is no one who acknowledges me; Refuge has failed me; No one cares for my soul. (5) I cried out to You, O LORD: I said, "You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living. (6) Attend to my cry, For I am brought very low; Deliver me from my persecutors, For they are stronger than I. (7) Bring my soul out of prison, That I may praise your name; The righteous shall surround me, For You shall deal bountifully with me."


No comments:

Post a Comment